Columbus City Attorney Zach Klein

Zach Klein
Columbus City Attorney
77 North Front Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
[email protected]

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Where is the Columbus City Attorney’s office located?

The answer depends on who you are looking for or what function of the office you need to access.

The principal office for the person of the City Attorney is located on the fourth floor of 77 North Front Street, Columbus, Ohio 43215. Also located there are the office of Chief Counsel, the Civil Division and its three sections: General Counsel, Labor and Employment, and Litigation.

The Claims Division is located at 77 North Front Street, Fourth Floor, Columbus, Ohio 43215.

The Real Estate Division is located at 77 North Front Street, Fourth Floor, Columbus, Ohio 43215.

The Police Legal Advisor is located on the eighth floor of the Central Headquarters of the Division of Police, 120 Marconi Blvd., Columbus, Ohio 43215.

The Prosecutor Division, which prosecutes criminal misdemeanor complaints in the Franklin County Municipal Court is located on the 7th and 17th floors of the Municipal Court building, 375 South High Street, Columbus, Ohio 43215.

Click here to access any one of these divisions.  If you are looking for a person in the office you should be able to find her or his direct phone number and direct email address.

What are the duties of the Columbus City Attorney?

This is best answered by examining the Columbus City Charter, sections 66 through 78, and Chapter 125 of the Columbus City Codes.  These may be found by clicking here.

I am the victim of a crime and want to file a criminal complaint.  How do I do that?

If you wish to file a criminal complaint, please call 614-645-8815 to schedule an appointment. Your appointment will be held in the Prosecution Resources Unit, Intake Section which is located on the 7th floor of 375 S. High St. Columbus, Ohio 43215. The hours of operation for intake appointments are Monday thru Friday 8:30am-2:30pm. (Closed - Saturday & Sunday). You may also download a copy of our complaint form, found here. For more information about the Prosecution Resources Unit, click here.

I need to hire a lawyer to represent me. Where do I go?

If you are charged with a state criminal charge and are unable to hire an attorney, you should contact the office of the Franklin County Public Defender. That office is located at 373 South High Street, 12th floor, Columbus, Ohio 43215. 614-525-3194.

If you are charged with a federal criminal charge and are unable to hire an attorney you should contact the office of the Federal Public Defender for the Southern District of Ohio, 10 West Broad Street, Suite #1020, Columbus, Ohio 43215, 614-469-2999.

If you need an attorney for a civil matter and are unable to afford an attorney, you should contact the Legal Aid Society of Columbus, 40 West Gay Street, Columbus, Ohio 43215. 614-224-8374.

The Columbus Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral service is another resource. 175 South Third Street, Suite 1100, Columbus, Ohio 43215, 614-221-0754.

How do I get a protection order?

If you believe someone is stalking you or wants to harm you and you wish to have a court order that orders that person to stay away from you, you should contact our Domestic Violence/Stalking unit. Persons in that office will listen to what you have to say and help make a determination if you qualify for such an order, and if so, what type of order.

Click here to find a contact person in our Domestic Violence/Stalking unit.

How do I make a claim against the City of Columbus?

If you believe that the City of Columbus has done something or failed to do something the result of which causes you property damage or personal injury, you should contact our Claims Division. You may also want to consult an attorney of your choice. Click here to go to our Claims Division.